name: mars colonization
function: industrial, public, residential
architects: Dmitry Zhuikov, Arina Ageeva, Krassimir Krastevyear: 2013
Mars colinisation from zaarchitects on Vimeo.
Purpose of the project - is a research of the possibility to build permanent settlements on Mars, using robotics and local materials to reduce the price and risks.
resources available on mars
1.The surface of Mars is primarily composed of basalt
2. The Phoenix lander directly sampled water ice in Martian soil
3. Some martian soil appropriate for groving certain agricultures e.g. Asparagus
Basalt is good material to make a protectional cave on, to produce insulation, and basalt roving, which is stronger than steel.
Possibility of food production will make Martian settlements independent of expensive deliveries from the Earth.
1. Rocket with digging robots are sent to the Mars
2. Robots drop-off on the surface
3. Robots analyze basalt columns on strength value, then each chooses a weakest pillar that equidistant from the others - it is a start position
4. Robots drill basalt, moving down and increasing diameter of withdrawn rock with each step, until it reaches strong pillars that remain
5. Chaff set aside to form network of the rampants, in order to protect skylight holes from the wind and dust
6. After caves are ready human expidition
rush to the Mars
7. Astronauts finish the construction and arrange technical facilities as water, oxygen, basalt processing line, etc.
8. Using generated basalt roving, robots weave spatial spider-like web, that will be used as spaces and construction to hold domestic
and technical facilities